11/16/10

A NEW CAKE

Photobucket

Something happens to me when RB's on band tour. About halfway through the time he's gone I find myself NEEDING indulgence. But then I have this little inner conflict were one side of me is like 'mmmmm, cake would be good!' and then the other side says 'but elizabeth! you can't eat a whole cake yourself!' So I usually push these thoughts out of my head until about the three week point where I finally break down and have to make 8 batches of cookies or something. Of course, it's timed perfectly cause I can pretend that I only made whatever sweet confection I did in anticipation of RB's arrival. Ha!

Sorry baby, it's really all about me.

So on Sunday I tried out this new ginger cake recipe that you can find here. Let's take a look at the mise en place, shall we?:

Photobucket

This cake contains flour, a bit of sugar, cinnamon, black pepper & cloves, water, vegetable oil, eggs, molasses, baking powder and 4 oz fresh grated ginger.

I don't own a kitchen scale so I really just faked what I thought four ounces might be (I tried to imagine four shot glasses). Anyway, there was a lot of ginger-peeling and ginger-grating going on until I felt like I'd accumulated enough.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mixing+ melting+ creaming + an hour later:

Photobucket

And the verdict? Well, I think this is a rather nice little cake. I could've upped the ginger content quite a bit without the flavour becoming overpowering, nevertheless the cake was lovely and moist and tasted delicious. It's really not very sweet at all and so would work great as a base for, say, a rich cream cheese icing (which I don't like) or maybe a quick salted caramel sauce and spiced whipped cream (which I do like, very much).

Photobucket

Go forth and make cake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you made a caramel sauce! it looks amazing and I would like some please. What do you put in your whipping cream?

elizabeth said...

Caramel sauce! So easy! Butter, cream, sugar, that's it. I even used skim milk this time, didn't measure and slurried them all together until it just felt right. Plus salt, mmmmmmm. I put sugar, vanilla, ground allspice and black pepper in my whipping cream.

xo.