10/29/10

A DISH BEST SERVED BLOODY

There is a certain sort of film I like more than most any other. Perhaps it stems from my fierce sagittarian pursuit of justice, or maybe it has to do with vicariously avenging petty wrongs committed me in my bullied youth. Could be I'm just really insecure, good at remembering every negative in life and equipped with an ever-present thirst for power, POWER!

Whatever the case, my favorite story in film is often that of pure, unflinching revenge.

I adore She-devil, The Witches of Eastwick is like candy to me. The scene in Braveheart where William Wallace slits the English lord's throat delights. I've seen the Bourne trilogy a million times and Once Upon a Time in the West is a personal favorite (the soundtrack is on constant rotation in my studio.) Taken was fantastic, who doesn't love a good middle-aged ass-kicking, and Oldboy? genius insanity. Phantom of the Pardise pairs high camp tragedy with complementary brutal retaliation and Straws Dogs is a violent fantasy of vengeance. The list goes on and on.

However in my book the world's best revenge film remains Brian de Palma's 1976 classic Carrie, aka: the greatest revenge story ever told. Every element is there: teenage angst, religious fanaticism, maudlin emotional highs and painful pubertal lows, oh, did I mention telekinesis?
In honor of Halloween, and just cause it makes me happy, here's the entire climatic finale via our friends at youtube, enjoy:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're funny. Happy Halloween!!