2/26/10

SPRING = CANNING?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Well to me it does. The fruit trees are all starting to bloom here in Vancouver and I am already thinking of the harvest. My co-workers and I are excitedly scoping out the selection of potted herbs on a daily basis, figuring out which ones to buy. I've really wanted to get into canning for the last couple of years. Our mom makes jams and jellies and sauces almost every year and Elizabeth too has tried her hand at spicy pickles and other treats.
It's not just what's in the jars that thrills me, nor the process of creating and preserving something of your own (one must prepare for the harsh winters of Vancouver, right?) but I also love the jars themselves. The old standard masons are very pretty indeed, but I felt inspired to see a little note on the beautiful and unique Weck jars in Martha Stewart. Now to get my hands on some those.... unfortunately it's still several months before I can start using them.

No comments: